Hi all,

In opensuse 10.2, on a dual core 64 bit CPU, I've noticed that the zmd updater
thingy has a sub-process "update-status" which seems to run flat out from time
to time. Typically it will do this immediately after startup, but it' does it
at other times too. The symptoms are that one core of the CPU starts to run at
100%, and since this is a laptop, inevitably the fan starts to run flat out and
the battery drain goes up a lot. This process seems to run for a long time
(more than 15 minutes).

This seems wrong to me. I don't know what it's doing exactly, but I assume it's
checking my software versions against some central repository, so one would
assume it should be IO bound looking at the disk or the network for most of its
life.

Obviously, I "should update to 10.3", but this is a working machine (in the
sense that I make my living using it), so such an exercise isn't trivial and
despite several other "compelling" reasons to do so, I'd really prefer to avoid
doing that at least for a while longer.

Any thoughts? Right now, I typically just kill it, but it would be nice if it
did its thing properly and didn't just run free.

Cheers, (and happy new year to all who use the same calendar as me :)
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz