Hi!

Anyone have any view over the best way to watch for changes in log
files to do some analysis?

I want to create some small scripts/software to watch for changes in
log files (like /var/log/messages or var/log/mai) and register some
data in a db and I found to possible approaches:

* to use Perl File::Tail to listen on a file and process any text that arrives
* to use tail -f and pipe the output to my software

And I was thinking what would the performance implications be and the
preferred way of doing such analysis.

Kind regards,
--
Marcin Floryan