Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
On Sunday 06 January 2008 15:52, Bill Anderson wrote:
For those of us who use UNIX, we are used to /bin
being a symbolic link to /usr/bin

I admit it's been a while (~1999) since I last used a Unix (not Linux) machine, but back in the time when I did every single kind of Unix I knew had /bin and /usr/bin in separate places. /bin (essential commands and at least one shell) is required to be on the root file system, while /usr/bin (most other commands) might be on another file system.

Having /bin as a symlink pointing to /usr/bin would defeat this strategy; you could no longer have /usr on a separate file system / partition. Booting up the system would fail because boot scripts would not be able to use /bin/sh, for example.

This just raised my curiosity. Can somebody who actually has access to a Solaris or AIX or HP-UX machine please shed some light on this? Are the major Unix vendors really forcing /usr to be on the root file system?

For Linux, see also the File System Hierarchy (FHS) standard:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

CU
I work with Solaris and AIX on a regular basis, and /bin is a symbolic link to /usr/sbin. It was changed long before 1999. Most users fail to notice the difference, since ksh displays the logic path and not the physical path. For those interested, this was a hot topic of discussion back in the 80's.

Bill Anderson
WW7BA