Billie Walsh wrote:
> Sergey Mkrtchyan wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I experience difficulties with Thunderbird, I have over 5000 emails now
>> (lots of attachments, etc.) and I also use this list without deleting
>> messages every day :). The things is that now when I try to open an
>> e-mail in Thunderbird with an attachment, it will go gray(I believe this
>> is one of the compiz's fancy stuff) and I have to kill TB from konsole
>> because it freezes.
>>
>> Do you know if large number of e-mails is the cause of that, and if
>> KMail is handling that better?
>>
>> I tried to switch to KMail earlier, but with lots of accounts I'm using
>> it was pain in the butt. Now if KMail will work better with this I may
>> consider trying to switch again.
>>
>> Thanks

> I find that if the mail gets to full T-Bird slows to a crawl. I keep all
> my mail folders trimmed down and no problem. I've never let it get to
> the point that it locks things up. The trash folder is set to empty out
> anything over three days old. If I don't need it within three days I
> won't need it at all. Something that's important I save somewhere else.
>

> Just don't understand the person that pack rats EVERYTHING.

I agree keeping EVERYTHING is nuts! However, I've found it invaluable on
many occasions that I had old e-mails from clients or vendors that I
needed to get back to after several years. My problem is that it's
easier for me to find in Thunderbird than when using other methods.
That's why I have so many old ones. I have some e-mails that date back
to 1995! In the case of most e-mail lists, I try to keep them trimmed
down. I just have not had a chance to do it lately. :-)  But the way I
have them stored in Thunderbird, it doesn't  seem to affect the
performance.  I've never had Thunderbird lock up on me.

-- Dave