Linda Walsh wrote:
Is there a preferred alternative?  I vaguely remember using some
sort of 'call device' like 'cua0' in cu that corresponded to ttyS0
with an invocation like:
  cu -l /dev/cua0

I've tried the above and "cu -l /dev/ttyS0" and neither work
----
        It really helps if you do a 'modprobe 8250' before hand (not that
this is crystal clear, BTW).

    For some reason, I thought when my hardware was probed, it would find
and load drivers corresponding to my hardware.  I guess that's not entirely
true?

        Anyway, loading the standard serial port drivers made 'cu'
"magically" start working:

cu -l ttyS0 -s 38400

was/is all that was needed.

I looked over screen and minicom.  Guess I should have been more
specific -- I wanted a command-line tty interface.  Screen & minicom
are both curses based and take over the window they are in.

Using cu and specifying the line as above requires no configuration
or setup (just loading the dang drivers!) :-)