On Sunday 13 January 2008 21:37, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Doug McGarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [01-13-08 21:21]:
> > I recently downloaded instructions from Brother which were supposed to
> > apply to the HL-2040 printer.  In the examples they gave, the printer
> > model appeared to be HL-2030.  I changed that in the instructions, as
> > I followed them, to be HL-2040.  Perhaps this was in error, and I
> > should have left it 2030.
> >
> > If this is the case, how do I "erase" the erroneous installation, so I
> > can use the correct one.  I have, of course, the files and the
> > instructions I downloaded from Brother, which seem otherwise quite
> > clear.

> Your explanation is not very clear.  You "installed" a printer, I
> *assume* via yast2.  If so, just delete the printer in yast as you
> installed it.
No.  See below.

> btw, did you bother looking for instructions *specific* to openSUSE?
> see:

I will look at the URL you suggested, but note that I'm not using openSUSE,
but an earlier version that seems to work.

> seems like there is a lot of information available.  Google *is* your
> best friend!
>
> --
> Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
> http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
> Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org

The instructions I downloaded came from Brother, and are specific to SuSE,
ver. 9.0 or later --I have 9.3-- and include other Linux versions, but I
obviously used the SuSE instructions. These do NOT include YAST, altho
YAST shows what is installed, etc.  I don't know if YAST should highlight any
problems, but it did not do so.  The instructions expect a CUPS system,
which I believe I have.  The installation is run from the console.  After
that, you need to use the browser (Firefox, in my case) and go to http://
localhost:631 and follow some other simple instructions, which I believe I
did.

Unfortunately, the troubleshooter at Brother says the server cannot be
reached, so I can't look for their assistance.  Maybe on Monday they will fix
the server?

If anyone out there has successfully managed to get 2.0.1-1 working with a
2040 printer, I would like to know how you did it.  Meanwhile, of course, I
will keep trying the troubleshooter server, to see if they fixed it.

--
Blessed are the peacemakers ... for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley