> I have downloaded the openSUSE 10+ version of Skype, and have an icon on the
> desktop, but all efforts at getting it to be installed so that it will
> operate have failed.  How do I get Skype up and running?

What version did you download?  Did you happen to grab an older Beta
build or something that was dynamically linked?  There were issues
with some of the 1.4x Beta builds a while back that have since been
solved.

The "old" 1.4 version is here: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

The "new" 2.0 Beta version is here:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/beta/
I am using the Beta version and it's very stable... video works well.
Worth a look.

Have you started Skype from the command line to see what error
messages are being generated?

C.