Hello,

I cannot get my laptop to produce any sound under 10.3. However, it works
flawlessly under 10.0, so I think the problem sits in front of the
computer...

lspci reports the sound chip as

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97
Audio Controller (rev 02)

and the following sound-related kernel modules are loaded:

$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm_oss            50432  0
snd_mixer_oss          20096  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq                54452  0
snd_seq_device         12172  1 snd_seq
snd_intel8x0           36636  1
snd_ac97_codec         97060  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                6272  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                82564  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              26756  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    58164  10
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11460  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         14472  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

Both alsaconf and the the sound module in Yast seem to recognize the sound
card as 82801CA/CAM AC'97, and don't report any errors when configuring
the card. It just doesn't make any sound ;) I played with the volume
controls in the YaST sound module and in KMix, but that didn't do anything
either.

At this point I am not even sure if it's a driver issue, of if there is
anything wrong with my sound setting. Any help would be much appreciated!

  Lutz