Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Friday 2008-01-18 at 14:22 -0500, Doctor Who wrote:

Thanks.  I installed the package successfully, but I don't see how it
helps to mount the drive with ntfs-3g.  According to the homepage, I
should see a box pop-up when I plug the drive in giving me the option
to be able to write to the drive, but that doesn't happen here.  I
*do* have ntfs-3g installed and can write to the drive if I mount it
manually from a console.

Any ideas?

Try creating an fstab line for it, using "/dev/disk/by-id/..." as the device node (it is independent of where it is plugged).

Personally, I prefer using a volume label....
That way, it can identify that particular disk drive
as needing 3G support, but if he decides to make, say
an ext3 USB drive, it won't be a major annoyance.