On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:29:42 +0000, Chris Ross wrote:

>[time passes]... Apparently not, YaST tells me the list of things that
>would break is as long as your arm.

For *running* applications your system should use the nvidia OpenGL libs
as you need them for accelerated 3D. For *building* apps, the Mesa libs
should be used as otherwise those applications won't run without nvidia
libraries which obviously you don't want.

>are -- e.g. the information that deleting this will break /ogre/ makes

Just try deleting the package manually with rpm and it will give you the
names that you can then again feed into rpm to get info on the packages.

>/usr/X11R6/lib/ comes before /usr/lib/ (which really feels *wrong* to
>me)

You mean the precedence? That's not really astonishing.

BTW, you needn't remove the mesa libraries, just make sure there is only
one libGLcore.so.1 symlink that points to  the nvidia library and all
should be well.

Philipp