On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Joe Sloan wrote:
LOL, nobody has ever ported a game to opensuse, no need. Like I said, my
 quake 3 arena demo binary from 1999 has played just fine on every
distro I've tried.

Except that Quake III Arena (I have the "limited edition" metal box version from Loki) has no sound on OpenSuSE 10.2 and my *favourite* game, Terminus (http://www.vvisions.com/games/details.cfm?ID=28), which once upon a time I used to play constantly, doesn't run on 10.2 at all :(

So yes, you can play your old 1999 games if you keep an old 1999 Linux
around to play them on. I do understand that if I were to install and maintain several parallel out-of-distribution old versions of glibc I could possibly get them to work, but that's no substitute for the Windows experience of picking up a "buy 3 for £10" old PC games offer in the high street and just putting the disc in the computer. It's really my 11 year old who'd most like to play computer games and the latter he can cope with, the former, of course not.

Even the new Linux Quake 4 demo doesn't run on OpenSuSE 10.2 because the sound is all broken and horrible, let alone old bargain basement Windows games.

Regards,
Chris R.