When a 10.3 system is installed, by default some things are set up that
will result in a daemon or some other agent occasionally waking up and
getting very busy. These activities can impact other running
applications. I am hoping to make a list of these so that I can (1)
decide if I need them and (2) figure out how to disable them. With full
understanding that I live with whatever mess I create. My use for this
is in a measurement system that probably does not need whatever these
applications are doing. It definitely does not want the system
sluggishness they sometimes create.

So, here is a start at my list:

        opensuseupdater

        updatedb

OK. Not so big a list. But I know there are more of these. I would be
happy if anyone who knows of another would add them to the list. If
possible, include the name of the package that installed it and, if
known, the command to disable it from running. Don't worry. I won't just
blindly run or remove anything. I will just know a bit better where to
look.

TIA

--
Roger Oberholtzer