Thanks and my apologies about getting hot behind the collar. I misread
you too. Now maybe you can give me some tips before I go out and buy a
bunch of books. First, If I were to buy a book or two, what would you
suggest? Second, there was a program on one of the other distros that I
was experimenting with that made the font of the desktop more readable.
Of course I can't remember it. Then it seems that everytime I use
firefox I'm going to have to enlarge the fonts. Would opera browser be
the same way? Or one of the other browsers?  Thanks.   John

John B Pace wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 10:36 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>> John B Pace wrote:
>>> So, it is like it used to be, Carlos? Really no need for antivirus
>>> software?
>> Non-root users still don't have root abilities, so, no, of
>> course not.
>>
>> Do downloaded files suddenly make themselves executable,
>> without you chmod'ing them?
>>
>> The security model hasn't changed since 1970, BECAUSE IT
>> DOESN'T NEED TO BE!
>>
>> Remember, the Unix security model was designed with the presumption
>> that ANY user might accidentally do something utterly stupid,
>> and so the whole system was designed to protect users from
>> each others' stupidity.
>>

>>  > Interesting that the windows machines are being protected
>>> from themselve.
>> What cave have you been hiding in for the last 15 years?
>>
>>  > I assume some distros must be weaker than others? Or why
>>> would clamav or antivir (Avira GmbH) been created.
>> To weed out Microsoft viruses.
>>
>> Sheesh, John, name one Linux virus.
>>
>> The last outbreak of malware in the *nix community was
>> over 20 years ago...and that was due to buffer overruns
>> (which have since been corrected) on hardware so obsolete
>> that you can't even find in operation any more (VAX-11
>> and Motorola 680x0 CPUs)
>>
>>  > I'm probably sticking
>>> my foot in my mouth or worse my head where the sun doesn't bother
>>> shining, but I'm really curious as to clamav and antivir. You don't
have
>>> to answer this if you don't want, Carlos. I can check it out!
Thanks!
>>> John
>> They're for the purpose of protecting Windows clients
>> from malware-infested Windows viruses.
>>

 > I can't recall any viruses, malware, but then I've probably
 > only put 90 hours into linux altogether, which is why I
 > introduced myself as an older dummy.

Oh, I see.

I thought you meant you used to use Unix way back a long time ago.

 >              What did you mean about being a non-root user.

The system administrators account is user ID 0, and by default,
named "root" ... you can change this, but it will cause problems
if a program checks the user name rather than the user ID number.

 > I'm normally no-root except when I need to be in root. I

That's good.  Never do anything as root unless you need to.

Even software that I grab off of websites, do all of my
downloading from my normal user account.  I just use the
su command to change user ID to root just to install
the software, and then end the su session.

 > see that you just came on board as far as downloaded files.
 > That solution was taken care of a good deal of time ago this
 > morning with some excellent answers. There were no "of course
 > not." That phrase should be left out of conversation about
 > discussing solutions. It sounds like old linux answers by
 > those that think they may have something over the rest of us.
 > I don't and won't put up with that crap. I don't need your

I misunderstood what you were saying in your original post.

I thought you mean "old linux user" as someone with
experience in this operating system from long ago,
not someone who is getting grey hair.  My mistake.

 > preaching with your capitalizing either. In fact, I don't
 > need you disrespect at all, so keep it to yourself because
 > I surely don't care what you say or what others say to
 > my response.

No problem.