On Thursday 24 January 2008 11:00:22 am PerfectReign wrote:
> On Thu, January 24, 2008 9:33 am, Russ Fineman wrote:
> > Actually it did finally download the iso I was after, it took about
> > 3.5 hours
> > on a 100mb fiber link (4.2GB){SUSE 11.0 Alpha}
>
> That's not a bad result.
>
> > after that it went into
> > some
> > mode called seeding,
>
> Seeding is how torrents work. You download and you are "leaching". In
> other words, you have nothing to give back.
>
> Once you've downloaded enough chunchks of whatever, then you can both
> "seed" and "leach".  Eventually you have all the chuncks downloaded
> and you are in "seeding" mode. In other words, you are giving chunks
> back out.
>
> The more seeders then better, therefore files get downloaded faster.
>
> I seed opensuse all night usually.
>
> YOu can typically configure KTorrent to only use x mb/s of your
> bandwith, so you're not stuck. I often set my downloads to only allow
> something really small - like 10 kb/s upload until I'm done then open
> up the port for full throttle afterwards.
>
> > after three hours I cancelled it. Today I will
> > try
> > burning a DVD with the ISO and see if it works. The DVD is only
> > available
> > through Ktorrent at this time. No HTTP or FTP version.
>
> That's how I've seen openSUSE spread the pain of bandwith.
>
> > It looked like it is checking many servers but only getting chunks
> > from a few
> > of them.
>
> That's a result of the trackers or clients. Even though KTorrent is
> "trackerless" it must still check for clients from which to pull
> chunks. Every peer out there becomes a tracker, which allows KTorrent
> to see who is seeding the file. It will check multiple trackers, grab
> chunks from some as it can and ignore others.
Thanks this explained a lot. I have to go bye some dvd's before I can test the
download. The bye count is correct and k3b generated an MD5 checksum. Now I
need to find the check sum from the downloaded ISO and see if they agree.

Again thanks for the overview. This is the first time I tried Ktorrent,
normally I purchase the Novell DVD so I have a good copy. If this works I'll
make my own in the future.

--
Russ
Linux register user 441463