On Jan 25, 2008 8:15 AM, Philipp Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I haven't tried with USB, but with any other boot media I've encountered.

Nuff said.

Presumably the OP wanted to boot some other OS off of the USB disk.
You are going on about initrd like you ASSUME he is going to boot
linux off of a USB.

Say he has Windows on the USB device.  Then what?  You expect that
to boot with linux drivers?

GRUB is a boot loader, a mini operating system all to itself.  It does
not relay on Linux.  It can boot almost any OS, BUT ONLY if it can
read the media.

I see no reason to expect Windows or Solaris to run with Linux drivers
found in the initrd.