On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 07:33:38 AM -0800, Simon Roberts ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> OK, I've been wanting to answer this question for ages, but there's
> just so much to say.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts! Just one comment:

> All other attempts to migrate my friends were met with legitimate
> objections that I couldn't counter.

I have recently written a "How to turn into Free Software supporters
people who couldn't care less" with some practical advice at
http://digifreedom.net/node/103 . Judging from your very practical and
detailed notes, it is likely that that advice doesn't apply to at
least some of your friends, but there is one thing which is still
worth trying, namely the first paragraph:

"Focus on making people support Free Software, rather than using it"

At least in this particular moment (cfr OpenXML) it is quite urgent
that as many people as possible ask for adoption of really open
ICTstandards and Free Software (in this order) in Public
Administrations, even if they don't use Linux and don't plan to use
it.

Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84