2007/8/9, Michal Marek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Ciro Iriarte wrote:
> > Probably i'll copy the datafiles (as soon as i get the needed space)
> > to a vmware installation and try to update mysql or probably reinstall
> > it (rpm -e mysql/rpm -i mysql-5.blah).
>
> If you have the possibility to test your app in a testing environment,
> then this is definitely the recommended way. rpm -Uvh should work as
> well btw, or adding the repo to yast (if you want to update all packages).
>

> > For production i would like to wait for 5.1 as i'm interested on using
> > table partitions (there's an ugly +60GB table around). Have any idea
> > when it's going to be released (and added to Build Service)?
>
> I can't answer the first question. As for buildservice, there used to be
> rpms of 5.1 beta version in the same repository, but I removed them, as
> it caused problems when building other packages. I'm going to resurrect
> them however (after 10.3 or so). So the answer to the second question is
> "soon after the official release" ;)
>

> > I'll report back the result of my tests.
>
> Cool. Looking forward for your results :)
>
> Michal

Hi, reporting back :D
Unlukily i couldn't get enought disk space in my workstation to
install a VM and copy over all the production datafiles to test a
direct upgrade. Two weeks ago one of our replicated 4.1 servers
crashed and couldn't recover the datafiles, so last night I wiped the
DB filesystem and started from scratch.

Succesfully installed the 5.1 packages from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/database:/mysql51/SLES_9/x86_64/
and i'm currently restoring from a DB dump. Would be great just to
start with the binary files though...

I'll report any issue.

Regards,
Ciro