I have been trying for a week to get apache to recognize a cgi script
and execute it.  The script is part of a distributed package, so I
know it is my server configuration that is the issue.  Basically, I
just get a browser prompt asking me what to do with "login.cgi".  I
would greatly appreciate any help with this.  I am running out of
ideas, and I know it is a simple fix.  The folder is in
public_html/cgi-bin/.  Here is my mod_userdir.conf file:

****

#

# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home

# directory if a ~user request is received.

#

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>

                # Note that the name of the user directory
("public_html") cannot easily be

                # changed here, since it is a compile time setting.
The apache package

                # would have to be rebuilt. You could work around by deleting

                # /usr/sbin/suexec, but then all scripts from the
directories would be

                # executed with the UID of the webserver.

                #

                # To rebuild apache with another setting you need to change the

                # %userdir define in the spec file.

                # not every user's directory should be visible:

                #UserDir disabled root

                # to enable UserDir only for a certain set of users,
use this instead:

                #UserDir disabled

                #UserDir enabled user1 user2

                # the UserDir directive is actually used inside the
virtual hosts, to

                # have more control

                UserDir public_html

                <Directory /home/*/public_html>

                                AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

                                AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes

                                Options MultiViews Indexes
SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec

                                <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>

                                                Order allow,deny