First thing to check if the computer you are trying to boot up supports usb bootup, when yu are booting up, you may see a meesage "press esc/f8" or something like that to select boot up device, that usually brings up a small menu where you can select which device to boot from, if USB is available select it and that should make your system to boot up from the usb drive.

Jan Albrecht wrote:
Hi all,

I've installed 10.3 on a USB disc drive as I can't use the internal
disc drive in my company notebook.
Any idea which option I have to use so that I can boot from my USB
drive? Currently it just tells me "Missing operrating system".
Thanks
Jan