Just off the top of my head...

Doesn't FreeMarker have a macro language similar to Velocity?
I believe you could write custom functions to access the ValueStack.

I was actually thinking about doing the FreeMarker integration just
last week.  Once I get some spare time I might look into this.

Regards,
Kirk Rasmussen
Lucasfilm Ltd.