> currently in my daos i create a session object for every
> dao operation like dao.save dao.load, etc

I think this is exactly what caused the freeroller application (using
Hibernate also) to suffer some extreme scalability failures.

As far as best practices go, Jason has started Conductor that is
supposed to provide a framework (built on top of WebWork) that
integrates Hibernate and some user-management features. Basically a
starting point for app developers. There isn't much there yet however.

http://conductor.dev.java.net

I found the xPetstore an excellent source of good application design. It
uses WebWork (1.3) and Hibernate.

http://xpetstore.sourceforge.net/

Can you elaborate a little more regarding this statement?