For #4, I too am looking for a good way to propagate information through
the action chain.

I'm using the model driven interceptor, so combined with the parameter
interceptor, it's a great system for populating my models and it's a
short save() away from persisting via Hibernate.

I was trying break out my actions into different pieces of a chain so I
could reuse it, but it seems that the
ActionContext.getContext().getParameters() map is unmodifiable.  So if i
create an ID higher up the chain, I cannot retrieve it down the chain (
without using explicit notation in the valuestack ).

That causes problems since it limits reuse and reordering, a key part of
why I want to use WebWork2 and it's ActionChains

The only way that I have come across is to create a request scoped
HashMap component that would allow something higher up the chain to set
a value and something lower down that chain to retrieve it.

This isn't a showstopper by design, because with careful use of the
PrepareInterceptor, I can still retain a high degree of decoupling and
reusability, but I am curious to know if there is another ( read better
) way I should be approaching this.

-a

by the way, I think I have enough familiarity with the system to help
with documentation, which seems to be in great need. where do i sign up?