boxed wrote:
Drew McAuliffe wrote:

I agree, and I think that it should be the ${} syntax. The reason I like the
optional syntax is solely for backwards compatibility.

I don't see why you are using java if you prefer that way of writing personally.

Let's compare the alternaitves:
<ww:property value="name"/>
<ww:property value="${name}"/>

Am I wrong in assuming that simple usage of the variables is the most common thing in the WW EL? Because if it is then implementing a more verbose syntax for it is counterproductive. The rule of thumb is to make the most common actions simple and intuitive and there is nothing intuitive about the ${} syntax.

Right. In Velocity the other way makes sense because the $ is used in plain HTML, i.e. comparing:
<ww:property value="name"/>
${name}
--
But when comparing between the alternatives as above, I think it's better to use the non-$ approach.

/Rickard