I may be way off mark here, but is the webwork displaytag the same one at http://displaytag.sourceforge.net/ ?

I havn't used DisplayTag before because I have written my own freemarker macro for displaying tabulated data within webwork, that suits my purposes better.

It should be as simple as adding the taglib to the freemarker view using something like

<#assign display=JspTaglibs["/WEB-INF/displayTag.tld"]>

then you can just use the tage like a macro :

just insert @ before the namespace, and replace the : with a .

<display:table name="someList">
  <display:column property="mail"/>
  <display:column property="total"/>