I'd suggest you take a look at Spring, http://hibernate.org/110.html
if you do not want to use yet another framework you could also check out how its implemented in the Hibernate sample app, http://www.hibernate.org/159.html and then theres also the sample app from the Java Open Source Programming book, http://www.wiley.com/legacy/compbooks/walnes/

Erik Jõgi wrote:

hello,

First of all: many thanks to the creators of WW2 for building this great
framework.

I am trying to write an application with WebWork2 that is also using
Hibernate.

This is my first WebWork project so I'm not sure what is the best way to use
these
to together. I tried to search in the wiki but couldn't find much there
either.

Initially I came up with this setup: I have 2 components:
HibernateSessionFactory
at application scope and HibernateSession at request scope. The
HibernateSession
is HibernateSessionFactoryAware and any action that needs Hibernate is then
HibernateSessionAware. The HibernateSession also implements Initializable
and Disposable where it opens a session and closes the session respectively. Now

in my actions I use hibernateSession.getSession() to retrieve the actual
Hibernate
Session object.

This seems to work fine but what I would like more is that the Actions could
have
already the real Hibernate's Session object assigned to them instead of
having to
call hibernateSession.getSession() every time it is needed.

Now for this I came up with a different approach and I would like to get
some comments whether this is a good idea or could it even be done that way at
all:

I thought of building an Interceptor that would take care of initializing
Hibernate
and before any action check if the action implements SessionAware and then
open a Session and assign it to that Action. After the action it would then
close
the session if one was opened.

For this I was also wondering:

What is the scope of an Interceptor instance? Is there a new one created for
each
request?

For any custom interceptor: what is the recommended way to deal with
exceptions?

Any comments on my ideas would be greatly appreciated.

best regards,
erik jõgi

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by EclipseCon 2004 Premiere Conference on Open Tools Development and Integration See the breadth of Eclipse activity. February 3-5 in Anaheim, CA. http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn _______________________________________________ Opensymphony-webwork mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/opensymphony-webwork