From: James Yonan <j...@yonan.net>
To: Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <a...@agi.as>
Subject: Re: comp-lzo and licensing issues
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:57:26 -0000

Hi Alberto,

How are you doing?  I haven't heard from you for a while!

Interesting problem.  Well I hope that Markus will agree to the linkage.

It seems that this must be a common problem, if GPL cannot co-exist with
licenses which are still open source but non-GPL.  It also seems that the
whole notion of "linkage" is a thorny issue and would need to be rigorously
defined.  For example, does

gpl-program | non-gpl-program > conundrum.log

constitute linkage?

What if the linkage is between components in user space and kernel space that
have different licenses, but otherwise comingle in the same address space?

Is linkage via shared libraries or static linkage different from interprocess
communication linkages or network communication linkages?

As you mention, zlib is certainly another option, though I don't know how it
scores in the realtime category.  It would also need to be able to
compress/decompress small blocks (i.e. MTU sized) without reference to other
blocks or cross-block state-info.

I would agree that you should post something to openvpn-devel about this.

Best Regards,
James

--

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta       | They that give up essential liberty
agi@(agi.as|debian.org)        | to obtain a little temporary safety
Encrypted mail preferred       | deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Key fingerprint = 9782 04E7 2B75 405C F5E9  0C81 C514 AF8E 4BA4 01C3