Bert Shuler <bshu...@pbs.solutionsiq.com> said:

> James:
> Are you aware of a Windows tun project? While most windows users may
> prefer tap, I am interested in the point-to-point nature of the tun
> device. When setting up many routed connections, it seems that each TAP
> connection will use 1 ip and waste 2 others. I can also live without
> broadcast traffic and non-IP protocols.

While I do believe that the majority of Windows users will prefer a tap
interface, I say this simply because in my experience _most_ Windows users
prefer the option that is the easiest to configure.  Once you stop
automatically routing broadcasts and non-IP protocols, then you have to start
doing more configuration on Windows, i.e. setting up WINS servers and clients,
configuring samba differently, etc.

Having said that, I will agree that having a tun driver would be cool, and
that in many if not most circumstances, it is technically a better choice --
it is more scalable, it offers finer gradation of access control, it is more
universal across *nix platforms, etc. -- as long as you don't need to route
non-IP protocols.

The real problem is that very few open source developers are interested in
developing drivers for Windows, so there are not many choices available.  To
my knowledge there are three:  TAP-Win32, CIPE-Win32, and WinPcap, and none of
them provide tun capabilities.

James