Hello everybody!

For a student research project I'm trying to add multi instance capability to
OpenVPN. The basic idea is to rip the main openvpn()-function apart, put all
variables in a struct and then have only one select()-call for all open
tunnels at once.

Then there should be one unix-socket which can be connected by some
to-be-written control-application, which manages the tunnels. In detail it
should be possible to add and remove tunnels on demand just by sending the
appropriate config down that unix-socket.

Each tunnel should have it's own tun/tap-device open - the linux kernel has no
problem to cope with so many interfaces... I don't think, that it's a good
idea, to create only one tun-device and then have some kind of internal
routing-engine...

My main problems so far are:
- which code-base should I use? Should I start with 1.5 oder should I take
code from CVS? CVS means shooting on a moving target...
- how to handle the garbage collection? Is it really necessary or is the code
leak-free?

Is there any interest here to support that project? We will do it because it
is out assignment - and we will finish it :)

Thank you for your help!
Christian

| Christian Daniel                                      |
| Drechselblick 5        Mariannhillstraße 6 / App. 220 |
| D-97816 Lohr am Main   D-97074 Würzburg               |
| http://www.cdaniel.de | c...@cdaniel.de | ICQ: 95896119 |