Hi,
You're using the right server, just the wrong branch. Branches allow you to take a copy of the work off the trunk (main branch) and work on it for a while without disturbing everything else. Then once all the work's been done and is mostly stable, you can merge the branch back into the trunk. The particular branch I think you're after is BETA20 and you can view it under sourceforge's ViewCVS module (at the bottom of a page that has files under different branches you can select which branch you want to look at). I don't personally know the CVS commands for checking out branches, but the man pages are the place to find out.
        Hope this helps,
        Mike  5:)