Mathias Sundman wrote:
No, I'm not used to OO languages, unfortunally. The reasons why I started to write this in C was:

1) I only know how to code in C, VisualBasic and Assembler. Assembler is out of the question, and I'm tired of VBs dependency for a bunch of DLLs. I like beeing able to compile just one compact exe file and not need to create an installation package just to get the application working on another machine.

Ok, as far as I remember, you need one additional library for wxWindows. MFC, on the other hand, already comes with Windows. The binaries of both approaches will be very compact, while you may create larger programs when hacking all the standard work (messsage processing etc.) on your own.

2) The egoistic one! I've though of learning to develop windows gui applications in C for a long time, but never really got to it. Now I saw an opportunity to write something useful and learn something I've wanted to learn at the same time.

3) OpenVPN is written in traditional C, so if I for any reason would like to integrate the gui into the openvpn binary, that would be very easy if the gui itself was written in C.

I personally think that using different languages for different tasks in a project should be no problem, especially as C++ fits better to GUI modules. But I'm not the project manager :).

4) I like traditional C, and dislike object oriented languages! Don't ask me why, it's just my personal taste, and I can fully understand that other prefer OO languages...

I'm also hacking most of my software in C - because it's kernel code or command line tools. But for GUI stuff, OO is definitely better suited and more efficient (due to re-use of components).

I do agree with you though that makeing it portable would have been prefered, but just like you, I don't got that much spare time, so I'm not sure that I want to spend it learning yet another development environment.

Before discouraging you from doing anything at all, I would suggest that you start with a basic GUI tool (and feel a bit of the effort ;) ). If the interface to the OpenVPN core is specified and stable, extending the GUI capabilities can be done later as well - if required.

Jan