On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Jan Kiszka wrote:

I would like to have some mechanism to fork an openvpn instance and let the new process use a specific configuration file. This would allow to start only certain VPN tunnels depending on what the user selects in the GUI.

I've been giving this some more thought... and I agree we definitly need something like this.

Is it possible in windows to install a program as SUID in unix, so the application is ran as administrator even though it is started by an ordinary user? If yes, that would be eliminate the need to fork new processes (as I can think of right now atleast).

If no, Is it only on windows we can't do this, or do we have this problem on other platforms too?

If it's a windows specific problem, then maybe this functionally should be in the service wrapper. If we add a simple interface to the service wrapper our gui client could tell the service wrapper to start new openvpn processes when we want.

If it's not a windows specific problem, then I suppost it's best to add the functionallity in the openvpn binary so we get the portability.

NILINGS AB                        X    NO HTML/RTF in e-mail
Tel: +46-(0)8-666 32 28          / \   NO Word docs in e-mail