On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 03:01:31 -0500, Paul Iadonisi
<pri.open...@iadonisi.to> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 07:20 +0100, Mathias Sundman wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I think it's a good idea to have simple "redhat look-alike" scripts to
> > start / stop individual openvpn tunnels, to make life easier for users.
> >
> > But, I hounestly dislike the idea of introducing a new config file format
> > like this. I don't really see the purpose. Why not just refer to an
> > OpenVPN config file instead?
>
>   While I can understand that assessment, and even hesitated at
> implementing this myself, I'll note that Red Hat does in fact do this
> both with the built-in IPsec and with dhcp configuration.
>   I've actually seen this kind of thing as a common tension between the
> application developers' desire to make an application appear the same,
> or largely same, no matter what platform you are on, and the platform
> developers' desire to make things fit nicely into their own platform.  I
> guess I fit into the later category.
>   Perhaps its something to be bundled with initscripts instead of
> openvpn?  It's probably the more appropriate place, anyhow, since I
> don't think any other packages include their own ifup-*/ifdown-*
> scripts.
>   Unfortunately, I may have a *harder* time convincing Red Hat to
> include it, along with a patch to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup
> because Red Hat doesn't include OpenVPN at all and may not see any
> justification for customized initscripts to support it.  It is, however,
> in Fedora Extras (I think only 1.6, though, at the moment), so maybe
> there is a chance that it will one day be included.
>   *sigh*  Oh, well, if James doesn't want to include this, I'll
> understand.  But might I suggest just dropping them in the contrib dir?
> And if you're really ambitious, you could introduce a --with option to
> optionally build an rpm with them in the spec file ;-) (or...I could do
> that, if there's interest).  If not, then, oh well ... I guess I'll just
> maintain them for my own use.

IMHO RH and other distros inhibit customization  by adjusting apps to
their own liking.  This improves their ability to support their
distros, but can make it difficult  when you want to upgrade to a
newer version that is not yet supported by them.

I distinctly remember upgrading RH8 to from httpd 1.??? to the latest
2.??? Let's just say it wasn't fun.

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.