On 2004 12 20 (Monday) 02:43, Tor Håkon Gjerde wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to run an openvpn server on a shell account without root.
> A server that does only client-to-client, with no interface on the server
> itself.
> But openvpn says it needs an tun or tap device.
> I understand this might require the tun or tap device itself to be emulated.

    How from userspace you are going to access tap/tun device and insert
IP/Ethernet packets? If you run openvpn and want it to drop it's privileges
you have to use --persist-tun - it can not open the device after dropping
it's privileges. Imagine what happends if any user can create such device
and start sending packets!
    SSH can be used to pipe std{in,out,err}, forward ports and emulate
SOCKS proxy, but that's another story... maybe that's what you need?

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79                        http://pgp.mit.edu
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79