Peter 'Luna' Runestig has put together a Crypto API patch which tries to access user-based certificate/key pairs even when OpenVPN is running as a service.

Given that Peter can't test this patch himself, it would be great if someone who uses this feature would volunteer to do some testing and report back to the list.

I've built a drop-in replacement for openvpn.exe (2.0-rc8) with the patch applied:

http://openvpn.net/beta/ca3/

I've tried this patched version now, and there's a diffrence, but still not working with the key/cert in my user certstore.

With OpenVPN 2.0-rc8 I get:

Thu Jan 20 02:07:24 2005 Cannot load certificate "SUBJ:Mathias Sundman" from Microsoft Certificate Store: error:C5065064:microsoft cryptoapi:CertFindCertificateInStore:Cannot find object or property.

With OpenVPN 2.0-rc8-ca3 I get:

Thu Jan 20 02:03:37 2005 Cannot load certificate "SUBJ:Mathias Sundman" from Microsoft Certificate Store: error:C5064064:microsoft cryptoapi:CertOpenSystemStore:The parameter is incorrect.