James Yonan wrote:
OpenVPN Addressing Topology
---------------------------
However, now I've put together a brand new topology, called "topology
subnet".  This topology is very intuitive, like the "dev tap" topology
where each client gets a single IP address from a pool, the server gets
the .1 address, clients get .2, .3, .4, etc., and all clients and the
server can communicate by virtue of possessing a single IP address taken
out of the shared VPN subnet.  Plus -- a very cool property of this
feature is that it works on Windows clients as well as any *nix system
which supports tun interfaces being configured by ifconfig with an
IP/netmask rather than the usual local and remote endpoint (Linux supports this, I haven't tried any of the BSDs yet).

it's amazing feature! thanks!!!

Other interesting features

"redirect-gateway bypass-dhcp" gets around the problem of DHCP packets to the local DHCP server being incorrectly routed into the tunnel.

one quick question without reading the whole docs.
i always like to know my vpn enpoint has a static ip address so if i'd like to access joe's vpn i can simply use joe.vpn.company.com name. is it possible to use this new subnet topology and somehow staticaly define endpoint's ip address? the best would be if i can use a central internal dhcp server which can give ip, subnet, dns and other address to the vpn clients automaticaly. is it possible with linux and windows clients?

Merging Schedule

With sufficient testing, this code will be a candidate for inclusion in 2.1 or higher, and will be applicable to the 2.0.x branch via manual merging. While this patch is not huge, it's deep enough that I don't plan on merging it in 2.0.x anytime soon.

i'd like to see some kind of early 2.1 or 2.1rc release since we can create rpm packages this and test it.