Mathias Sundman wrote:

Then try using the --fragment option with a rather low value which will cause OpenVPN todo internal fragrentation to avoid IP fragmentation and see if the frags goes away, and hopefully the problem as well!

A problem with this - which I am open to doing if it does solve the problem - is that I have a number of clients and this option apparently isn't a negotiated option, so if I enable it on the server, I have to enable it on all clients and restart all of them, which would be hugely disruptive and not an option at this point in time.

Thanks for the suggestion.