Is it my missunderstanding or is it a real improvement - to ask IANA to allocate the range for exclusive allocation to VPN clients?

As far as I can see - the main obstacle of building the robust and allaround VPN is to guess the IP-range so that it *NEVER* collides|overlaps with *ANY* of the IPs used on real networks where a server and a client may happen to be. (The most frequent gotcha is a client physically connected to, say, 192.168.*.* on a LAN and tryes to use VPN which allocates him with 192.168.*.* on his virtual adapter)

How to guess a range nobody uses on their LANs?!

I saw a VPN system, namely Hamachi (www.hamaci.cc), which cleverly uses the 5.*.*.* range.

Who's responsibility to ask IANA about that matters?
Is it already implemented? If so - which IP-range is safe to be used in VPN between a server and a client?

Please comment.

Tony.