Thanks for the quick response,

I have been looking at the management interface as a tool for this API. But I am new to OpenVPN, and I am not sure if it has all the essentials at this stage to qualify as a full-blown interface, or if it is a tool in development. I thought maybe I could be enlightened here.

I have found that an API is a nebulous concept. It is quite difficult to find a concrete definition. Here is how I have decided to define an API in my paper, using API design material provided by the Netbeans site (there is remarkably little written about how to go about designing an API. I suspect it is one of those things that is so intrinsic to what programmers do, that they don't often stop to think about it. Maybe it's only a topic for academics):

“The API is everything that another team or application can depend on.” Also, it can be seen as an “interface between the internals of an application and a programatic (sic) usage of its functionality”. (Netbeans) To be more specific, the everything mentioned above includes method and field signatures, files and file content, environment variables, protocols, program behaviour, and localization issues (regarding culture and language, often referred to as L10n)

I was hoping to get feedback from OpenVPN developers about what kinds of controls/communications/data flow would be necessary between the OpenVPN software and a program trying to automatically maintain VPN connections over an extended period of time. I have been looking through the source code, trying to piece together the method and field signatures, files and file content, env vars.etc., with some success, but I thought some feedback from those who know it intimately might help me decide what are the vital bits of functionality which should be accessible to an interface with this other program, and where in the source code to look. The ssl.h header file has been good to me in terms of understanding security protocols. I am looking through others at the moment. I have some ideas, but I'm new here, and was hoping to draw on some willing expertise. Perhaps the management interface does contain all that is necessary. My research in API design suggests that it is best to start small - get only the absolutely necessary interface components defined first, and then add carefully with experience. It is easy to add to an API, it is impossible to remove. So the question is, what are the bare essentials for another program to interface with OpenVPN, and where can their implementation be found in the source code? I thought the perspective of developers would make for some valuable research, hence my email.

Is that any more clear? Anyway, Once again, any feedback is welcome. If this is an unwelcome discussion, please let me know, and I'll quietly go back to lurking.

Thanks again,

Mike

Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
I don't understand what you are calling an API, but please refer to:
http://svn.openvpn.net/projects/openvpn/trunk/openvpn/management/management-notes.txt

Maybe it will answer some of your questions.