Carsten Krüger wrote:
Hello James,

On Vista x64, my understanding is that the TAP driver
would need to be signed by Microsoft themselves.

wrong

Digital Signatures for Kernel Modules on x64-based Systems Running Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/64bit/kmsigning.mspx

How to Obtain a Software Publishing Certificate (64bitDriverSigning.doc)

Use the following steps to obtain an SPC for signing your kernel-mode
software that meets the mandatory kernel-mode code-signing policy:
1.      Obtain an SPC from a commercial CA that issues digital
        certificates for signing kernel-mode code. The list of CAs who
        provide SPCs (or code-signing certificates) that can be used
        for kernel-mode code signing is available at the �Microsoft
        Cross-certificates for Windows Vista Kernel Mode Code Signing�
        Web page listed in �Resource� at the end of this paper.

You know, you are absolutely right. The process for signing is rather convoluted, and after taking a second look at the procedure, I realized that I needed to manually add a specific intermediate certificate to complete the chain. Now everything works. The TAP driver loads and runs on Vista x64. Cool!

James