Hi OpenVPN developers,

I am new to OpenVPN and have some questions regarding the compression algorithm
and overall performance. Why was LZO here instead of other algorithms like
deflate? Any particular performance consideration?

I am lazy so didn't do any research regarding the difference and performance
comparison between LZO and Deflate. Just hope to get a quick answer. If the
question doesn't make sense, please forgive :-)

Another question is how much throughput OpenVPN can support, say, on a Gbits
networks? I tested it in a 100Mbps LAN environment. Without LZO compression, I
got around 50Mbps. With LZO enabled, the number is about 70Mbps, which is close
to the rate I got without VPN. I am wondering, when LZO is not enabled, which
part limits the throughput. The encryption/decryption? Or the TUN virtual
device? I guess it's the encryption procedure so I hope to know the rate
OpenVPN can get in a Gbits network. If anybody has some confirmed figure in
mind, please kindly inform me. Thanks so much!

Best regards,

L.

Be a better friend, newshound, and