James Yonan wrote:

> Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 February 2009 13:35:35 David Balazic wrote:
> >> Ping ?
> >>
> >> Should I resend the patch without the end-of-line-spaces change ?
> >
> > James has his own response times.
> > I suggest you have much patience.... :)
> >
> > Alon.
>
> I apologize for not having the bandwidth to focus as much on
> the patch
> queue as I would like, but please understand that we're on
> the verge of
> releasing 2.1 and we have to be very conservative about accepting
> patches at this point.
>
> I think it's fair to ask that we try to limit ourselves at this late
> stage to patches that address issues that affect a large number of
> users, or bug fixes that are sufficiently trivial that there
> is little
> or no chance of causing unforeseen breakage.  I think there
> needs to be
> an argument for why the patch is important right now, as opposed to
> waiting a while for the 2.2 beta series.

Of course.

 - the bug has been reported in several instances (see my first mail)
 - the patch affects only one architecture (besides the unused parameter
on others;
I could have made different function declarations for different archs,
but that
would be less readable/maintainable IMO)
 - the patch affects only one code path, that is taken only when the bug
is triggered
 - it is simple:
   - a few lines to record the gateway interface name
   - a few lines to use it in case the gw addresss is 0.0.0.0
 - it is field tested (in a scenario which triggers the bug)

Regards,
David