Daniel Johnson wrote:

Karl O. Pinc wrote:
Openvpn does not do DNS at all.  You can use it to push DNS related
DHCP options to the "clients" so that they are directed to a DNS
server that does the right thing.  (There may be a way to do
something similar in a "client-side" config, I don't recall.) That's
about it.

Sorry, I wasn't specific.  My clients look up
"openvpn1[2,3,4].chguernsey.com" to connect, and I'm interested in how
it handles the results.  I expect it uses the Windows resolver, and
that it will receive all of the numeric results.  So if I change my
DNS entries to report
  PTR mercury.chguernsey.com.
  A   65.120.131.235
  A   172.21.166.249
can I get the client to "notice" that it is directly connected to the
172.21.166 subnet and use that IP?

For the moment I'm pursuing a split-view DNS to report only the
internal address on that subnet.  It should hide the effects of the
routing-loop problem until it can be properly resolved.

Daniel,

Earlier you mentioned that "In wireless use, we find that Windows will
dump SOME of the routes created by OpenVPN when the radio changes APs".

When this occurs, does it trigger a reconnection by the OpenVPN clients
to the server?  If so, you can ensure that client-side routes are reset
as part of the reconnection by NOT using the "persist-tun" directive in
the client config file.

James