On 07/11/09 22:43, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:

>     just to make clear, using tls-auth is NOT a 'current workaround'. It
> was always on the documentations and it's use was always recommended.
>

> from OpenVPN Security Overview
> http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/security-overview.html
>

> One notable security improvement that OpenVPN provides over vanilla TLS
> is that it gives the user the opportunity to use a pre-shared passphrase
> (or static key) in conjunction with the --tls-auth directive to generate
> an HMAC key to authenticate the packets that are themselves part of the
> TLS handshake sequence. This protects against buffer overflows in the
> OpenSSL TLS implementation, because an attacker cannot even initiate a
> TLS handshake without being able to generate packets with the currect
> HMAC signature.
>

> from OpenVPN HOWTO
> http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html
>

> Hardening OpenVPN Security
>
> One of the often-repeated maxims of network security is that one should
> never place so much trust in a single security component that its
> failure causes a catastrophic security breach. OpenVPN provides several
> mechanisms to add additional security layers to hedge against such an
> outcome.
>
> tls-auth
>
> The tls-auth directive adds an additional HMAC signature to all SSL/TLS
> handshake packets for integrity verification. Any UDP packet not bearing
> the correct HMAC signature can be dropped without further processing.
> The tls-auth HMAC signature provides an additional level of security
> above and beyond that provided by SSL/TLS. It can protect against:  [
> ... continues ... ]

Well said!  Thank you for emphasising this.  In my earlier posts, I
never intended to suggest that this was a work around, just to be clear
about that.  But --tls-auth is now, how I see it, the only way currently
available "immediately" (vs. waiting for openssl to be widely available
on all distros) which can make you safer against the current SSL/TLS flaw.

Having said that, --tls-auth is really recommended to increase the
overall security, no matter if there is a flaw in the SSL/TLS layer or
not.  So Leonardo Rodrigues got a good point here.

I just wanted to make sure my earlier messages would not be
misunderstood further.

But to be honest, it would be greatly appreciated if an official
statement about how the developers see the situation as well.  This is
such a critical flaw which really need some critical eyes into the
OpenVPN code by someone who can understand it well.  Just to confirm or
reject the current assumptions.  I'm not comfortable with the little
discussion this thread has generated.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth

> Mr. Olli escreveu:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I understand your point. tls-auth seems to be the best work-around
>> currently.

(further info about mail thread from openvpn-users list)

<http://svn.resiprocate.org/rep/ietf-drafts/ekr/draft-rescorla-tls-renegotiate.txt>