Hi,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 05:07:29PM +0100, Jan Just Keijser wrote:
> Let's not add more complexity to openvpn itself, I'd be much happier if

You just don't understand.

The complexity *WILL* be in OpenVPN, if we decide to support
"route-gateway dhcp" for non-Windows platforms.

The question is, *where* will it be?

a) figuring out how to properly run the system's DHCP client [which might
   not even be installed] for *this* version of Linux or FreeBSD or
   OpenBSD or NetBSD or Solaris or MacOS in the right way

b) contain the code to generate a DHCP request (trivial) and parse the
   response (fairly trivial), and use the already-existing IP configuration
   and route-setup bits

For people that only know their small local operating system island,
"a)" seems like a trivial task.  For software that is so highly portable
as OpenVPN, "a)" is a truckload of pain.

I have been through the pain in implementing IPv6 support for all
operating systems (except OpenBSD yet) that OpenVPN supports - and that
was harmless in regard to the variety of DHCP clients that exist and
all of them need to be twiddled and poked in different ways, most of them
*way out of control of OpenVPN*.

This might be the other big misunderstanding here.  As of today, if you
want to use "ifplugd + dhcp + ..." on a TAP interface, just do so - OpenVPN
won't stand in your way.  This is not the issue at hand - the issue is
that OpenVPN wants to be friendly to the users, and give them an option
to do DHCP-on-TAP without(!) having to fiddle with their local network
setup.

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de