Hi all,

In yesterday's meeting we discussed this issue:

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.openvpn.devel/3556>

In a nutshell, OpenVPN's ping packets (--ping <seconds>) keep the
connection alive even if user uses the --inactive <seconds> option to
close  inactive connections. Now, the --inactive option has an optional
<bytes> parameter, which allows closing the connection if less than
<bytes> of traffic is received in <seconds>. Setting all of these
parameters correctly should allow --inactivity to "ignore" the OpenVPN
ping traffic.

Has somebody already solved this issue by setting correct values for
--inactive and --ping parameters? Our idea is to change the code so that
the --ping and --inactive options are not mutually exclusive even if the
optional <bytes> option is not defined.

I hope I have not been too confusing :). For more information about the
--inactive and --ping options, see "man openvpn" or

<http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/manuals/69-openvpn-21.html>

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager