openvpn wrote:
dear all,

a few days ago I deployed an ovpn solution in a medium sized company. One of the two ends of the vpn network is passing through a proxy with NTLM authentication. ovpn has problems to recognize the authentication because immediately after sending the message type 1, the proxy sends no response, so I had to modify the source code by replacing the current message with a similar but different one.

in particular this one:

TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAAgIAAA==

become:

TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAB4IIogAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFASgKAAAADw==

A detail of the work is available at:

http://www.morzello.com/?p=350 (in Italian).

I was wondering if you could have a function that supports this type of proxy (such as McAfee Web Gateway).

I applied your "patch" and I still cannot get it to work for my httpd+mod_ntlm (NTLMv1 only) installation. The NTLM handshake that OpenVPN does is broken. Without the patch Wireshark tells me the first NTLMSPP message is invalid
 http://www.nikhef.nl/~janjust/openvpn/openvpn-ntlm-error1.png
If I change the phase_1 NTLM message to the above I get one step further but then it breaks at the next packet:
 http://www.nikhef.nl/~janjust/openvpn/openvpn-ntlm-error2.png
It seems the Windows domain and username are not stored properly inside the request. The same httpd+mod_ntlm installation works flawlessly using Internet Explorer 7: in that case the domain and user name are encoded just fine.

What am I doing wrong?

cheers,

JJK