hi  Samuli,

Samuli Seppänen wrote:
Hi Samuli,

Samuli Seppänen wrote:
Hi,

As some of you may be aware, I've been working on the new Python-based
OpenVPN Windows buildsystem; now the first fully functional OpenVPN
installer is ready:

<http://build.openvpn.net/downloads/releases/openvpn-2.2-rc-install-preview-1.exe>

However, I've only done very limited testing. On Windows 7 64-bit
platform the following seems to work:

- installing and uninstalling all userspace components
- installing and uninstalling the (64-bit) TAP driver
- running OpenVPN as service
- running OpenVPN using the OpenVPN-GUI

I've only noticed two small issues on the Win7 64-bit platform:

- uninstall does not remove the OpenVPN start menu entries properly
(remove manually using right click -> delete)
- "View README" at the end of install does not work

Note that the installer itself is not signed, even though the TAP
drivers are. This will be fixed in the final 2.2-rc release.

Now, I'd need help in verifying that both the installer and the included
executables work properly on all supported 32 and 64-bit Windows
platforms (XP and later). If you can, please test the installer on some
_non-critical system_ and report back, whether everything works properly
or not. Once all installer bugs are squashed, I'll make the
openvpn-2.2-rc release. After that I'll clean up my buildsystem patches,
send them here for review and then update the Windows building Wiki page:

just tried it on a 32bit Windows XP SP3 machine. Installation went OK, the README works but the format of the README file itself does not display properly in Notepad (CR/LF problem?). The bad news is that the binaries don't work. All binaries refuse to start (openvpn.exe, openssl.exe, openvpn-gui.exe). The command-line tools fail with 'Cannot execute the specified program'. The OpenVPN GUI fails with an error 0xC0150002.
Interesting, given that OpenVPN was built on WinXP. This may have
something to do with the (external) manifest files or DLL versions. I'll
setup another WinXP VM to test the installer, fix these issues and then
upload a second preview.
did some testing: turns out that the new executables depend on the Visual Studio 2008 runtime (msvcr90.dll). The manifest files point to these MSVCR files but I did not install them in my VM (nor do I think I should have to install them). After installing the Visual Studio 2008 RT the openvpn.exe command at least *runs* . If I remove the manifest files it no longer works - personally I think this is kinda ugly ...

cheers,

JJK