Hi William,

William Cooley wrote:

On 5/12/2011 1:46 PM, Jan Just Keijser wrote:
William Cooley wrote:
I'd like to have a remote address setting that has two A records. The client should randomly try to connect to one of the addresses and if it fails it should either try the other IP address or do a randomize operation on the IP selection again. In previous versions of openvpn if you specified a domain that resolved to two or more IP addresses you'd get a long line like /RESOLVE: NOTE: vpndomain.com resolves to 2 addresses, choosing one by random/
and I believe it performed as I described above.
However it looks like with openvpn 2.1.4 and newer you simply get
/RESOLVE: NOTE: vpndomain.com resolves to 2 addresses/
and if it fails to connect to the first IP address it never tries the other address and simply indefinitely tries to connect to the same address.

Was there some type of change in the code that was not mentioned in the changelog? Does any one have more information on this? Is there a setting that can restore this behavior?

it's mentioned in the changelog:

* Implemented multi-address DNS expansion on the network field of route
 commands.

 When only a single IP address is desired from a multi-address DNS
 expansion, use the first address rather than a random selection.

but it seems this had the unintentional side-effect , namely what you describe.
this is either a bug or it should have been documented better.

cheers,

JJK

Yes I say this but I assumed it only applied to the route command.
The man pages for both 2.1 and 2.2 still say
If *host* is a DNS name which resolves to multiple IP addresses, one will be randomly chosen, providing a sort of basic load-balancing and failover capability.
So can this be called a bug?

I'm not sure, that's why I copied in openvpn-devel - either it's changed behaviour, which needs to be mentioned in the changelog and manual page, or it's a bug, in which case it needs to be fixed. Personally I'd say it's a bug.

cheers,

JJK