Mr Dash Four wrote:
Is there a way to generate a symmetric ta.key without using "openvpn --genkey --secret ta.key"?
yep, just use any freeform key that has enough entropy. For example, this ta.key file is good enough

]# cat mykey
garble warble we need lots of entropy
So, in theory, I could use, for example, openssl to generate any key, encode it in pem format and use that as raw material (i.e. a sequence of printable characters), is that correct?

It is NOT possible to use the direction parameter for this
You mean the digit which goes after tls-auth - i.e. 0 or 1?

yep
Is it possible to embed the contents of the above file in my openvpn config file in a similar fashion as it is done with the <key></key> tag for example? If so, what tag should I use for this?
in theory you co do this using

tls-auth [inline]

<tls-auth>
</tls-auth>

but this seems to work only for --genkey keys ; so it's either a freeform key or an inline , not both. I think you actually may have found a (minor) bug.
What is the meaning of "inline"? If I use <tls-auth></tls-auth> how do I specify the digit (0 or 1)?

the first statement
 tls-auth [inline]
tells openvpn to look for an inline version of the tls-auth file; this inline version is contained in the blob.
you can use
 tls-auth [inline] 0|1
to specify a direction , but as I said, that works only for 'openvpn --genkey' generated keys.

HTH,

JJK