Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Jan Just Keijser <janj...@nikhef.nl> wrote:
Hi,

Gert Doering wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 07:51:01PM +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

The benefit is to divide the code into libraries and core which is
easier to maintain and reuse.

I'm not sure I understand what's so hard about "compile stuff, use
'ar' to pack into libopenvpn.a" that stuff needs more convolutions.

We're not building a shared library - which I agree is major pains unless
handled by libtool.  But static libraries are easy on about everything
(except Windows, can't speak about that).

actually, most of the problems I've seen with libtool have to deal with
shared libraries - I would NOT trust libtool to be able to build shared
libraries the way I want it to, esp when shared libs use other shared libs.
don't know if libtool 2.x solves the issues found in 1.5

Anyway, new automake does support silent rules, try the following[1]
patch and see if it makes you happier.

This is missing the point: I think what automake/autoconf is doing now
is much too complicated.  I *like* to see what it's doing, and hiding
complexity by just not showing it is a step into the wrong direction.

I fully agree with Gert here; if we can avoid libtool then I'd really like
to do so - it only adds an extra layer that (IMHO) is not needed; what was
wrong with the "old" method?

I tried to explain during this thread, do you have a specific question?
Anyway, we also found that it is not libtool that cause the long
command, but rather old gcc which probably did not handle the deletion
of dependency file correctly so automake/libtool compensate that.

ah OK, I normally don't care about dependencies because I build openvpn only once. why did automake decide to add these rules , whilst it didn't do so in the past?

and no, apart from the above I don't have a specific question, but I also don't like it when things are added to a (build) system that I don't see an immediate use for. For what it's worth, I'm very happy that the build system wasn't rewritten using 'cmake' - if that happens I'm forking the source code immediately :)

cheers,

JJK